The Feliway® Spray contains a synthetic copy of the feline facial pheromone, used by cats to mark their territory as safe and secure. By mimicking the cat’s natural facial pheromones, Feliway® creates a state of familiarity and security in the cat's local environment. As a result, Feliway® can be used to help comfort and reassure cats while they cope with a challenging situation and help prevent or reduce the stress caused by a change in their environment. The development of Feliway®created a new field in veterinary medicine: Pheromonatherapy.
Pheromones are secreted into the air by one animal and detected by a specific organ situated in the upper palate. To detect the pheromones, animals pump air into the vomeronasal organ. This ”pumping” behavior is called “flehmen.” Depending on the species, the flehmen can be very discreet (as in cats) or quite obvious (as seen in horses and sheep). Upon detection, the pheromone induces a subconscious behavior change.
Feliway is available in 2 convenient forms: a spray & an electric (plug-in) diffuser (listed separately)
The Feliway Spray bottle has a 75 ml volume.
1. What does the product do? Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway naturally controls urine marking and scratching, calms cats in transport and comforts cats in stressed environments. This unique product is a copy of the naturally occurring facial pheromones present in cats. The presence of these pheromones results in an emotional calming, reducing the cat’s impulse to mark its territory. Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway has been proven to help reduce your cat’s stress in the following environments and situations: New Home; Transportation; Hospitalization; Boarding; Introducing a New Cat; New Furniture; Unfamiliar People; Other Animals.
2. What is the active ingredient? An analogue of feline facial pheromones is the active ingredient.
3. What are pheromones? Pheromones are naturally occurring chemical substances secreted by animals to communicate ownership of territory and mating availability to others. Pheromones can be secreted from various locations on the body.
4. How do cats use facial pheromones? Cats use facial pheromones to familiarize themselves with their environment. Surfaces that have been marked with these pheromones are recognized by the cat as familiar, non-threatening, and comforting. These facial pheromones are proven to have an emotionally calming effect on cats. By mimicking them, Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway is able to soothe cats and help prevent urine marking.
5. How is the product used? After cleaning urine affected areas, Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway should be sprayed directly onto the urine marks, as well as onto prominent objects including furniture, drapes, window frames and doorways. Urine marks and prominent objects should be treated 1-2 times daily for 30 days. Urine marks should be cleaned with clear water only, as detergents and other cleansers may degrade the product. One depression of the nozzle should be applied approximately 4 inches from the site, 8 inches from the floor. Only one spray per application site is necessary. Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway should be used at room temperature and shaken before use. If the product is colder than the room in which it will be used, leave it in the room for 1 hour prior to use. Always refer to the package insert for complete instructions for use.
6. My male cat only marks when the neighbor cat is in heat. Will Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway help? Yes. When a male cat is marking in response to the presence of a female in heat (this is usually accompanied by continual calling), it is not necessary to apply Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway on all prominent objects that could be attractive to the cat. In this case, it is sufficient to apply Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway only to the places marked, which are usually near doors and windows.
7. We have eight cats and urine marks everywhere. What should we do? The risk of urine marking is greater when several cats are present in a household. The application of Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway should be increased to two or three times per day on marked sites and once a day on prominent objects that could be attractive to the cats.
8. What if I have an elderly cat? With elderly cats, Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway may need to be used for 45 days in the manner described for multiple cat households, then once every 2-3 days for as long as necessary.
9. Can I use Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway to keep my cat calm during transport? For transport in a cage, spray the inside of the cage with Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway about 20 minutes before introducing the cat. For transport in a car or other vehicle, spray 3-4 times around the cat's usual place in the vehicle before placing the cat in it.
10. Will Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway reduce my cat’s stress when I have to board him? Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway has been proven to reduce stress when boarding. Spray each corner of the cattery accommodation before introducing the cat. Repeat the sprays daily until the cat is observed to rub its head in the areas of the sprays.
11. Will Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway prevent our cats from marking in our new house? To prevent urine marking by a cat in a new house, Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway should be sprayed once per day on prominent objects that could be attractive to the cat including furniture, window frames and doorways.
12. How often should the product be used? Urine marks and prominent objects should be treated 1-2 times daily for 30 days. With elderly cats, Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway may need to be used for 45 days in the manner described for multiple cat households, then once every 2-3 days for as long as necessary.
13. Once my cat stops spraying, can I stop using Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway? No. For best results, treatment should be continued 1-2 times daily for 30 days.
14. How well does it work? Several studies* have shown significant reductions in urine marking. One such study shows that 95% of cats tested reduced or completely stopped marking.
15. Is it a cleanser? Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway is not a cleanser; it is a solution that works to control vertical urine marking.
16. Can I use it with a cleanser/enzyme? The use of many cleaning agents and disinfectants can degrade the active ingredient in Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway. It is best if the soiled sites being treated are not cleaned with bleaches, detergents, or their derivatives. If you do, the areas should be cleaned thoroughly with water or alcohol before applying Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway.
17. Will Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway stop a female cat from marking? Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway is ideal for controlling urine marking in both male and female cats.
18. Will Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway stop a cat from urinating outside the litter box? If the cat is directing urine to a vertical surface (marking), Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway is effective in controlling this behavior. For best results, it is important to make a proper diagnosis of behavioral urine marking. If the cat is squatting and urinating on a horizontal surface, there are a number of reasons that cause this behavior, including: Urinary tract infection or crystalluria; Inadequate cleaning of the litter box; Unacceptable type of litter or litter box; Relocation of litter box to busy area; Accessibility of litter box (are they blocked by another animal?)