The Feliway® Plug-In Diffuser contains a synthetic copy of the feline facial pheromone, used by cats to mark their territory as safe and secure. By mimicking the cat’s natural facial pheromones, Feliway® creates a state of familiarity and security in the cat's local environment. As a result, Feliway® can be used to help comfort and reassure cats while they cope with a challenging situation and help prevent or reduce the stress caused by a change in their environment. The development of Feliway®created a new field in veterinary medicine: Pheromonatherapy.
Pheromones are secreted into the air by one animal and detected by a specific organ situated in the upper palate. To detect the pheromones, animals pump air into the vomeronasal organ. This ”pumping” behavior is called “flehmen.” Depending on the species, the flehmen can be very discreet (as in cats) or quite obvious (as seen in horses and sheep). Upon detection, the pheromone induces a subconscious behavior change.
Feliway is available in 2 convenient forms: an electric (plug-in) diffuser & a spray (listed separately)
The Feliway diffuser comes with a 48 ml bottle of Feliway. The Feliway refill bottle (listed separately above) is also 48 ml.
Comfort Zone® Diffuser with Feliway® will treat a 500-650 sq ft area.
1. How do the diffusers work? The diffusers work by using a heating element to disperse the pheromone into the air. Once present, the pet breathes in the pheromone and it attaches to a receptive organ, called the vomeronasal organ located in the nasal cavity. The vomeronasal organ then signals the brain, via nerves, and a sense of well-being is established.
2. What behaviors will the products reduce or stop? Comfort Zone with Feliway naturally controls urine marking and scratching, calms cats in transport and comforts cats in stressed environments. This unique product is a copy of the naturally occurring facial pheromones present in cats. The presence of these pheromones results in an emotional calming, reducing the cat's impulse to mark its territory. Comfort Zone with Feliway has been proven to help reduce your cat's stress in the following environments and situations: New Home; Transportation (Spray); Hospitalization; Boarding; Introducing a New Cat; New Furniture; Unfamiliar People; Other Animals.
3. What behaviors cannot be expected to change? As with any product, there are limitations to the effects. Behavioral conditions can result from many causes, and behaviors not resolved by using the products should be addressed by a veterinarian.
4. How long does the product need to be used until noticeable positive effects are observed? Ideally, the product should be used for at least one month. Results have been noticed as early as one week. The degree of results will also depend on the condition or behavioral disorder of your pet, some will respond faster and better than others.
5. What are some helpful tips if no positive changes are observed? First, make sure the product is plugged in correctly and that the bottle is not empty. If the product has been plugged in for over 30 days and is still full, then the diffuser may not be working. If your pet is still exhibiting behavioral problems after 30 days, then consulting your veterinarian is recommended.
6. What do I do if my pet's behavior gets worse? It is very unlikely that Comfort Zone with Feliway will exacerbate any behavioral condition. In such a situation, you may wish to call your veterinarian.
7. If someone is currently using the Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway, should they discontinue the spray and use only the Comfort Zone Diffuser with Feliway? That depends on the type of behavior they are trying to address. For the treatment of scratching behavior and for calming cats in their carriers, the spray is the preferred product and use thereof should be continued. For use in multi-cat households, to end urine marking or for the initial treatment of stress related behaviors, Comfort Zone Diffuser with Feliway is the preferred product.
8. Should both Comfort Zone with Feliway products be used for better results? Both the spray and the diffuser may be used in combination, but this largely depends on the behavioral problem that has been identified. In case of severe marking problems in multi-cat households, the spray may add a direct inhibiting effect and therefore stop or reduce the unwanted behavior in a shorter period of time in addition to the diffuser.
9. How can I keep my cat calm during transport? For transport in a cage, Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway is still your best application. Spray the inside of the cage with Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway about 20 minutes before introducing the cat. For transport in a car or other vehicle, spray 3-4 times around the cat's usual place in the vehicle before placing the cat in it.
10. If the Comfort Zone Diffusers are used in boarding facilities, will there be a noticeable effect for the animals? This depends on where the product is used. In kennel situations, many different types of pheromones are released, which may compete with the pheromones released by the Comfort Zone Diffusers. However, it is generally accepted that exposure to pheromones found in the Comfort Zone Diffuser with Feliway will help reduce the anxiety of your pet's stay.
11. If the Comfort Zone Diffusers are used in grooming facilities, will there be a noticeable effect for the animals? The use of the diffuser in a waiting room or grooming area should help relax your cat. However, this depends on both the level of anxiety/excitement the animal feels, which could override the pheromone effect, and the amount of time/exposure the pets have to the pheromone in the area.
12. What are the active ingredients? In Comfort Zone with Feliway, an analogue of feline facial pheromones is the active ingredient.
13. What are pheromones? Pheromones are naturally occurring chemical substances secreted by animals to communicate ownership of territory and mating availability to others. Pheromones can be secreted from various locations on the body.
14. How do cats use facial pheromones? Cats use facial pheromones to familiarize themselves with their environment. Surfaces that have been marked with these pheromones are recognized by the cat as familiar, non-threatening, and comforting. These facial pheromones are proven to have an emotionally calming effect on cats. By mimicking them, Feliway is able to soothe cats and help prevent urine marking.
15. How do I use the diffuser? Comfort Zone Diffusers should be placed in the room where the cat spends most of its time or where the unwanted behavior is the greatest. Remove the cap from the bottle. Attach the bottle to the diffuser device and plug the product in. The diffuser should be placed in an outlet that is open to the room. The product should not be placed behind furniture or in an electrical outlet near shelves, cabinets or other physical barriers, which may prevent dispersion of the pheromone. Each diffuser will cover approximately 650 square feet. If your pet has access to more than one floor in your home, a diffuser should be used on each floor. Always refer to the package insert for complete instructions for use.
16. Should the product be plugged in all day? Yes, the product is to be used throughout the entire day. Unplugging the device may cause the pet's unwanted behavior to return.
17. How often should the product be used? To modify your pet's unwanted behavior, use Comfort Zone for a minimum of 30 days. In multi-cat households, it may be necessary to continue use after 30 days.
18. How long will the Comfort Zone Diffusers last? They will last for approximately one month.
19. What if a Comfort Zone Diffuser with Feliway and a Comfort Zone Diffuser with D.A.P. ® are used in the same home. Will the different pheromones interfere with each other? No, both pheromones can be used at the same time without problems. The pheromone used in Feliway is specific to cats and the pheromone used in D.A.P. is specific to dogs and, therefore, they will not cross-react with other animals.
20. Will Comfort Zone with Feliway stop a female cat from marking? Feliway is ideal for controlling urine marking in both male and female cats.
21. My male cat only marks when the neighbor cat is in heat. Will Comfort Zone with Feliway help? Yes. When a male cat is marking in response to the presence of a female in heat (this is usually accompanied by continual calling), place the Comfort Zone Diffuser with Feliway in the area where the cat is responding, usually near a door or window.
22. We have eight cats that urine mark everywhere, what should we do? The risk of urine marking is greater when several cats are present in a household. It may be necessary to have more than one diffuser in your home. Each diffuser will cover approximately 650 square feet. If your cats have access to more than one floor in your home, a diffuser should be used on each floor. Make sure you have a sufficient number of diffusers to cover the area of your home inhabited by your cats.
23. I have an elderly cat who recently began urine marking. What should I do? With elderly cats, use Comfort Zone with Feliway for as long as necessary. Some elderly cats may require it for the rest of their lives. Refills for the diffuser are available.
24. Will Feliway prevent our cats from marking in our new house? In an attempt to prevent urine marking by a cat in a new house, Comfort Zone with Feliway should be plugged in prior to introducing your cat to your new home.
25. Once the unwanted behavior stops, can I stop using Comfort Zone? No, for best results, treatment should be continued for a minimum of 30 days.
26. How well do Comfort Zone Diffusers work? Several studies* of the Comfort Zone with Feliway Diffuser have shown significant reductions in urine marking. In clinical studies, Feliway has been shown to be 95% effective at ending urine marking and scratching. Another study shows a 70% reduction in urine marking in multi-cat households.
27. Can I use the Diffuser with a cleanser/enzyme? Yes, you may use cleaning agents, enzymatic cleaners or disinfectants to clean the soiled areas. Do not use bleach-based cleaners, as they may encourage urine marking. It is very important to thoroughly rinse and dry cleaned areas prior to using Comfort Zone Spray with Feliway. Please be sure to read cleaning instructions packed with each product.
28. Will it stop a cat from urinating outside the litter box? If the cat is directing urine to a vertical surface (marking), Comfort Zone with Feliway is effective in controlling this behavior. For best results, it is important to make a proper diagnosis of behavioral urine marking. If the cat is squatting and urinating on a horizontal surface, there are a number of reasons that cause this behavior, including: Urinary tract infection or crystalluria; Inadequate cleaning of the litter box; Unacceptable type of litter or litter box; Relocation of litter box to busy area; Accessibility of litter box (are they blocked by another animal?).